Pavlof volcano began a new eruption on March 27 with little advance warning.
- M3.2 at 9:02pm, 73 miles SE of Chignik
- M1.5 at 8:53pm, 34 miles E of Talkeetna
- M3.3 at 8:26pm, 62 miles S of Seward
- M3.7 at 8:25pm, 37 miles SW of Kantishna
- M1.4 at 8:05pm, 28 miles NW of Central
- M2.4 at 7:45pm, 11 miles NE of Valdez
- M1.3 at 7:26pm, 18 miles NE of Icy Bay
- M1.4 at 7:15pm, 28 miles NE of Icy Bay
Most people can visualize how earthquakes are generated at plate boundaries, where one plate grinds against or collides with another.